[Amel Yacht Owners] SM Keel bolts

eric freedman

Hi Ian,

I know there Is a drawing of the bonding strap is somewhere in the photos or possibly the files section of the Amel website.

I made mine out of a very thick wide piece of copper plate probably thicker than 1/8 of an inch.

To save a lot of soldering, I cut the top of the old bonding strap off and

soldered and bolted the old top of the plate, with wires attached, to the new strap. You need a torch to do this.

I do recall I used a 30 mm socket to remove the nut. However I do not remember the diameter of the bolt. It was at least 25 mm.

I used a large socket wrench with a number of extensions attached to remove and replace the nut. I taped the extensions together so they would not separate while working with the nut. Once the nut was removed I used a grabber tool to recover the nut.

It looks like this- https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-Grabber-and-Retriever-PF0401/202505170.

You need a long one. It has come in handy over the years to recover other stuff dropped into the bilge.

To replace the nut I just put some masking tape over the edges of the nut and the socket. It was rather easy.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376