Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Shield Wire in NMEA 2000 Backbone

Duane,

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but here is some information for you that may be helpful.

Shields are normally connected to the metal case of the devices that are connected by the NEMA wire, but, as you know, many device cases are not metal.

I would never connect a shield to a battery negative and never connect a shield to a case where the case is connected to negative because that negative cable will conduct RF from any device connected to the battery bank.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018, 11:40 sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Where do you terminate shield wires in general?  Since they are supposed to go to ground, it seems logical that you would connect them to the battery negative, but I'm  really just guessing.

Appreciate your input.

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477