Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Isolated ground on the Genset

John Clark

Eric,  I ran into some weirdness like that installing a new inverter charger.  If you have one starting battery, then the ground may not be on the genset but on the main engine.

I chased down a ground to a small coiled wire going from the volvo starter negative to the Amel bonding system.

When I lifted the lead there was no connection between 12v neg and Amel bond.....however while the engine started normally it would not turn off with this wire disconnected.
I haven't had any issues with anodes or corrosion so I left it as it was.

P.S. we were repowered by Amel in 2002 and have the 7.5kw genset and Volvo TAMD22

John
SVAnnie. SM37
Great Guana Cay Exuma

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 6:27 PM 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I was doing some work on my MDKAV generator. I thought I would measure the isolated ground.

I put a voltmeter on the isolated ground solenoid case and the 12 volt + battery cable.

The voltmeter read 12 volts. I also clipped the lead on to the bonding strap that is bolted to the engine pan and the 12 volt + cable. I also read 12 volts on the voltmeter. My thinking is that there should not be a negative battery connection between the solenoid case (which is bolted to the engine) or the bonding strap.

Any explanation, ideas?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376