Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Rescueing method of casualty (Person Over Board)

Jean Boucharlat

Bill,

I must say that I support entirely your thinking.

In my case this is based upon a very limited experience (once only) retrieving a windsurfer who had drifted away in a squall and be separated from his board. The water was relatively warm, probably around 18° C, and the man had been drifting for 20 to 30 minutes. He was already starting to suffer from hypothermia and our only objective (3 on board) was to get him out of the water as soon as possible and down below to warm him up. Very fortunately we succeeded without even giving a thought to the lifting position.

Last year in its September issue, Yachting Monthly had a very informative article, based upon actual MOB retrieval exercises in calm waters. Their objective was to debunk various myths propagated by well intentioned souls. I am quoting here directly from this article:

MYTH 14: The MOB has to be lifted in the horizontal position.There is no increased risk of heart attack if the MOB is lifted vertically. ln most waters of the world, death from hypothermia occurs long before any dangerous peripheral vascular bed failure develops. The whole concept of peripheral vascular failure being caused by surface-type immersion is a myth. At the surface, it would take days to develop.

Unquote

My halfpenny worth,

Jean Boucharlat

Formerly SM 232