Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: PredictWind

Sv Garulfo

Hi Pat,

We used PW for routing with 54 polars and found them very optimistic. Maybe we are conservative sailors but we had to set the polar ratio to 80% to get realistic times.

As far as the weather forecast is concerned, it's very similar to other software, we found. It mostly uses the same grib sources, so not too surprising, I guess. Windy shows better accuracy in the Caribbean, especially to understand the wind shifts in the channels and in the leeway of the islands.

Thomas
Garulfo
A54 #122
Cruising Saint Martin, FWI

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 at 11:07, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Pat,

I agree that PW isn't always spot on.  I look at Passageweather.com and windyty.com as well as PW before a passage.  There is often at least one outlier but a pretty good sense of what is going to happen can be gleaned from all that info.  The timing of wind shifts can be 12+hrs off, and wind speeds can be 10kts off (either way), but so far I haven't wished I'd waited for another window.  If even one model was predicting 30+kts, I'd either wait or call Chris Parker.

Hi to Diane!

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243