Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] lifting with mizzen boom, climbing mizzen, and halyard lengths

Ryan,

Good points. I think two lines can be better than one line and a static line except in the situation where you only have a total of two crew members: 1 to go up and 1 to hoist.

And, the one thing most people don't think about is how to lower using only the static line with a person locked to the line with a weight activated cam cleat locked to the static line.

Don't forget that it is easy to drop the mizzen sail and use that mast-enclosed halyard.

Regardless of the method used, be sure to think about everything, including what to do if an electric winch begins to runaway.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018, 17:58 James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny,

   I will second your concerns about using external halyards,  I avoid them as well and this started  even before the incident described to follow:  I once had the swivel of a spinnaker halyard part offshore which didn’t surprise me that much.  What did surprise me was that I replaced the broken block with an identical block that had been stored for some number of years in a drawer on the boat.  The block was still in it’s original packaging so unused, vintage unknown as this was a delivery job so not my boat.  The replacement block broke in exactly the same place when I tied off the spinnaker halyard with just a bit of tension added by hand.  The break was rusty and it looked like crevice corrosion of the stainless.  Thanks for bringing this danger to the attention of other Amelians.

Best,

James

SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Apr 3, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I can answer your last question personally. To go up the mizzen I unfurl and drop the mizzen sail and use that internal halyard. On Ocean Pearl it is a full length halyard. I have an aversion to using external halyards to pull people up masts, its a long way down.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 04 April 2018 at 05:21 "Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm refreshing much of my running rigging, and I just did a deep-dive into the halyards on mizzen and I'm confused by the numbers I'm seeing in that running rigging spreadsheet we've all seen.  It lists the mizzen ballooner halyard as 28m, and I've estimated the mizzen utility halyard (the one that goe s to the spreaders; it doesn't seem to be in the spreadsheet) at 15m.  I haven't found anything more detailed than the spreadsheet by searching this group's archives.

The ballooner halyard seems like a fine length for its intended purpose, given the mizzen's height of 14m above DWL, but there doesn't seem to be enough extra to lead it to the block on the end of the mizzen boom and then down to the water to lift something (or someone, as has been discussed in the other thread going on).  Does anyone have a suggestion for a more practical length on this halyard, or is the listed length good for this purpose?

Likewise, my estimate for my utility halyard seems too short to use the mizzen boom as a lift; how long is yours?

And finally, if you wanted to climb to the top of the mizzenmast, how would you clip on?  The ballooner halyard is the natural choice, but I don't feel comfortable using only a single halyard.  Given that the mizzensail halyard requires an extension, I don't think it would be safe to use that either, as then you're trusting the extension attachment (some stitched twine and electrical tape, in my case).  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA