Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: lifting with mizzen boom, climbing mizzen, and halyard lengths

James Cromie

Whenever I go up the mast, I trail a static line attached to my harness that I can fix to the mast if I need to descend in the case of some problem that mandates coming off the winch system.  (deck hand incapacitated, mechanical failure of primary system, etc.)
For descending, one can use a munter hitch (or in my case, I keep a belay device always attached on my harness).  A munter hitch can be made without any additional hardware or devices except a carabiner (use locking) to attach to your harness.  This hitch is commonly used in mountain rescue scenarios.

 It is important to always have a method of ascending / descending independently as a fall back plan.

James
Soteria
SM2K 347

On Apr 3, 2018, at 6:36 PM, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I prefer to use two halyards, both of them for hauling (no static line).  I don't see the advantage of using a static line vs just putting the prussik around the mast, so I use the line the way a halyard is meant to be used.  If both halyards are reasonably tight, it also greatly reduces the shock loading on the remaining one if one fails.  If one of the halyards is internal, I'm not terribly worried about the other being external (like on the mainmast).  But I don't have that option on the mizzenmast, unless I do as Danny did and have a full-length mizzen halyard made up (and drop the sail).  Surely, Henri Amel had a solution to this problem?  Or was he just comfortable going up on a single, external halyard?  I like Paul's idea of a dyneema loop through the shackle... that takes out one failure mode, though still leaves the possibility of the rope failing (or being let go).

On the lone occasion I've had to go up a mast on a single (internal) halyard, I used a prussik-like knot as a fall arrester.  It seems to be pretty safe (it can definitely take my weight dropping from the max distance I'd be before moving the knot), but if you actually need to use it, you're now stuck up there... I don't have a good solution for that.  I hope the local fire department does (and I'm at the dock)!  Or maybe the Coast Guard could send a helicopter? :D

Duane, thank you for the reminder about the figure-8 knot to tie onto the halyard.  I shouldn't have used the phrase "clip on".

Does anyone have recommended lengths for the ballooner and utility halyards that differ from what I wrote in my first message?  Should I just add a few meters to each?

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:45 PM, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

If I can’t use two halliards to ascend the mast I take two long loops of either tape or 8mm rope. A Prussik loop round the mast can be pushed up but holds under the tension of a fall. The second one is to attach above the spreaders so you never rely on just one attachment.
Prussik loops were used in climbing before ascenders were invented, but they do work around the dimension of a mast. Also useful as a foot loop to stand in if you want to get above the height of the mast to work.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN 96