Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Galapagos and Marquesas out of season. Pluses and minuses.

James Cromie

Porter - Some on this forum, including myself, will be very interested to hear what you find out when you apply for your visas in Panama. We would like to pursue a similar itinerary eventually.

Thank you for the posts.
James
Soteria
SM 347

On Apr 3, 2018, at 8:17 AM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Steve. All excellent points.

I think we’ll know if we get the visa while in Panama, If not. We’ll then delay on the American continent.
We’ve also considered the gambier islands for part of the time as well. Less rolly. Further south and outside the cyclone belt. Less heat.
So it seems.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!

Porter

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Mar 30, 2018, at 11:16 AM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

I wish I had good answers, but instead have some questions.

Are you fairly certain a 1 year visa is possible? Rene is Dutch, and his wife is Canadian. I wonder if he was able to get his wife a 1 yr visa due to the fact that he is an EU citizen. I had always heard the long stay visa for Americans was only 6 months instead of the standard 3 we normally get. I’ve also read that after the 2 visits required to the French embassy for the long stay Visa, it is not always granted on the spot, and you may not know if you actually have one until arriving in French Polynesia.

I’d be a bit hesitant to rely on historic cyclone patterns when on the edge of the cyclone belt, as the weather patterns seem to be changing a bit as the ocean temps are rising. It also seems like a very long time to spend in the Marquesas, and would expect the off season part is going to be seriously hot, humid, and squally.

We just sailed from Panama to Hawaii instead of our previously planned trip to FP this year to help out with my ill 94 year old father, and hope to Be headed that way via the Line islands in the 2019 season. Good luck with getting it all figured out, and let us all know what you discover.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
KoOlina, Hawaii

On Mar 30, 2018, at 04:30, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I very much appreciate all the thoughtful insights in every regard, and so I propose these technical questions.

We are heavily considering a transit of the Canal in June.
We've had extensive discussions with Rene of Island Water World in St. Martin (who some may know) and others who argue for the Pacific approach outlined below.

It is based on 3 assumptions:

1. A US citizen can get a 1 year visa for French Polynesia in Panama at the French consulate there.
2. Entering Equador on the mainland, one can get an extended cruising permit with exit through the Galapagos with minimal fees over an extended time-period.
 and the third:

3. The Marquesas are outside the cyclone zone and should be considered a reasonable all weather destination.

Based on the above, and a fair amount of research on the web etc.  We are considering a transit in June, July.
Heading south along the west coast of S America, leaving the boat in Ecuador for an inland experience, then Galapagos and Marquesas late part of this year.  Early start on the westward cruising of the pacific in march/April 2019 toward New Zealand or Torres Straits.

Noting, while the Marquesas are on the cusp of cyclone territory, their location does not completely exclude them from circular storms, what storm options would we have with good intel.  We have and use iridium and predict wind a-lot with excellent outcomes for the past year.

What thoughts, considerations, concerns and or advice might you have for this concept?

Very much appreciated!

Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Martinique