Cleaning rust stains

Craig Briggs

Right, John, those tiny rust dots are a real pain.  I've always tackled them with Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric, aka concrete cleaner, etc.) which works very well. Recently I came across a "Goof Off" brand rust remover that's 1% hydroflouric acid and 10% oxalyic acid. Just put it on (brush, pour, rag, whatever) and in about 5 minutes the rust is gone - no scrubbing.  Rinse and the acid neutralizes instantly. Also works great on any other areas with rust stain. Seemed to be more effective and faster than the hydrochloric.

Cheers, Craig SN#68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <john.biohead@...> wrote :

Welcome to the group, and a word about changing brushes on the furling drives; on my SM the brushes have a ferric componant as eell as carbon.  After working on them clean tje deck ...and all topside well lest you will be cleaning tiny rust marks for a month...ask me how I know this....

Regards,  John

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Emerald Bay Exuma.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018, 12:02 PM cpp_berkeley <no_reply@...> wrote:

Great, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.