Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Wind or Water generator
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
Our feedback on our Watt&Sea hydrogenerators (with 900W of solar):
1. Needs an appropriate mounting bracket for A54 and probably other amel sterns. Needs to be strong, other users have reported broken/bent brackets (see point 4 below).
2. On the 600W model with standard prop, we found the output to be roughly 0.xA@5kn- , 4A@6kn, 7.5A@7kn, 12A@8kn (24V).
So needs to go fast to be efficient. There are bigger props for better output at lower speeds.
3. The drag is probably more than advertised, we think a quarter of a knot.
4. In the Atlantic crossing to tue Caribbean, Sargasso are omnipresent in the second part. Too much of a pain to clear them from the props every 15mins, so a bit useless there...
5. Needs a bit more electronics than standard, with a relay to short the hydrogen when not needed (say battery full, or motoring in a calm, or reducing the drag when going too slow or simply managing the various energy sources onboard) as it's a bit of a mission to raise it (think night, middle of the ocean, shorthanded crew, big swell, etc...).
6. Only useful when running (fast). Obvious, but we don't run that often for long periods. Our cutoff is propably 36hr+ passage. Otherwise the alternator produces enough during periods of motoring and we can recover the rest during the following sunny days with solar. Plus we use the generator full on at least once a week for 3hrs to keep it and the 220V consumers on their toes.
7. The retaining pin is a bit of a joke. Stupid, but it slides out halfway and bents or breaks after a while. Without it, the blocker on the lowering system is not enough to maintain the hydro down. The pin needs a simple retainer like at the end of the spinaker pole.
In short we loved hydrogeneration in the first part of the Atlantic crossing where it produced more energy than we could consume. Won't be very useful until we leave the Caribbean. To be considered when making the investment.
Hope that helps
Amel 54 #122
Saint Martin, FWI
On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 at 08:53, JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote: