Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bilge alarm feedback

Peter Forbes

I think the positioning of my bilge alarm is good. I checked mine recently by removing and tipping upside down and found malfunction due to corroded wiring which I corrected and now all OK. I agree the alarm would be unwelcome whilst dealing with a flooding crisis.

Peter Forbes
Amel 54 #036
Carango

On 7 Apr 2018, at 23:05, JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thomas,
There should be a test lever to raise the float to set off the alarm to test it.
As to moving the switch, remember, offshore you are rocking and rolling often, so if you move the alarm, you may be hearing it more often then you'd like. I've had mine go off a few times, due to various issues, in various conditions, and never felt the water level compromised any pumps or other engine room components.
Best Regards,
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 07:18 PM, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi all,

Today's maintenance task was testing the bilge alarm. We had heard recently of at least one 54 owner who found out the hard way it didn't work. So it was high on the list and, sure enough, the test failed. It turned out the buzzer was dead and the lamp burnt within 5s. The floater trigger worked ok.

So we replaced the light bulb and the buzzer. We heard the original buzzer in a friend's SM2K and the new one and they are equally loud.
Which made me think I'd like to add a 3 way switch to test/silence it, as it would be pretty counterproductive/unsettling to have the siren scream while troubleshooting why you're sinking.

I also thought the position of the floater trigger in the bilge to be rather high. A few components (pumps, engine, c drive) would have their feet wet before it triggers. So thinking of relocating it lower in the sump, while not compromising access/maintenability.

Any thoughts?

Test your testers!

Fair winds

Thomas