Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind with staysail

Paul,

I will give you five things that I have learned that may help you.

1) Most of the staysails added to SMs happen early in ownership...after owning. a SM for a year or so, it is rarely added. You should understand why this is true.
2) Cruising isn't a race. In fact, a longer sail on a SM can result on more enjoyment.
3) Some 54 owners, who experience a malfunction in the Trinket, will wait years before repairs.
4) The majority of circumnavigation miles will be downwind.
5) I have seen a Trinket added incorrectly to a SM resulting in serious problems.

I see you signed your email "still looking" so I'll add two more.
1) You should own your Amel for at least a year before you plan changes because you'll probably change your mind.
2) Finding a good SM is not a small task and the most important thing is not the price.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018, 01:54 paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

An Amel-owner told me that using the "Trinkette", or staysail, on a SM gains 5-6 degrees of upwind performance.  Can anyone verify this claim?

Paul C.

still looking