Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind with staysail

Alexandre Uster von Baar

My SM2K came with a trinquette (Staysail).
The installation from the previous owner was well made:
http://www.nikimat.com/staysail.html
The attach point was going through the deck to the hull itself.
The rigging was not so good and I end up adding friction rings (not pictures).

Therefore, it was a pain.
When I wanted to tack the Genoa, I had to furl it in, then tack, then unfurl it.
Also I obtain the same performance partially deploying the Genoa “inside” the shroud.

As Bill mentioned, you should definitely wait at least 1 year before modify your Amel.
If you really think you need a stay sail, then you should chat with Heinz who owns Quetzal SM2K #292.
1) It is detachable so you do not have to furl the Genoa.
2) the forestay reaches the top of the mast eliminating the need for running back stay.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind with staysail
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 8:36 AM

Paul,
will give you five things that I have learned that may help
you.
1) Most of the
staysails added to SMs happen early in ownership...after
owning. a SM for a year or so, it is rarely added. You
should understand why this is true.2) Cruising
isn't a race. In fact, a longer sail on a SM can result
on more enjoyment.
3) Some 54
owners, who experience a malfunction in the Trinket, will
wait years before repairs. 4) The majority of
circumnavigation miles will be downwind.5) I have
seen a Trinket added incorrectly to a SM resulting in
serious problems.
see you signed your email "still looking" so
I'll add two more.1) You should own your Amel
for at least a year before you plan changes because
you'll probably change your mind.2) Finding a
good SM is not a small task and the most important thing is
not the price.
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander
Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island,
TX 77550
+1(832)
380-4970
On Sun, Apr
8, 2018, 01:54 paul.cooper74@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

An Amel-owner told me that using the
"Trinkette", or staysail, on a SM gains 5-6
degrees of upwind performance.  Can anyone verify this
claim?
Paul
C..still looking