Re: My first bow thruster service...

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Thanks for the help and setting me straight regarding the sizes. I have the correct o-rings on the way now. Florida Bearings were helpful and could help with the lip seals/o-rings/bearings but not the neoprene seals.

I read the original post again and was curious about the spring being removed vs intact for the lip seal on the retracting shaft. Should it be removed before installation? The old seal I took out had the spring but it was severely corroded and there wasn't much left of it (perhaps the reason it's removed?). Probably not a big deal either way but curious if anyone has a definitive answer.

Mike
SV Trilogy SM#23
Ft. Lauderdale

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :

Hi Mike,
You can get the O rings and Neoprene seals in Ft Lauderdale at Florida Bearings - A Kaman Company; 2686 SW 36th St; 954-462-0825 (they've moved from Broward Ave).

O rings go by ID and CS (Cross Sectional Diameter) so your 78 X 3 would have an 84mm OD. Size charts show it as a 3.0X78.  US sizing is different and a close match would be a Size 151 at 2.62mm X 75.87mm.

Good luck with it.
Craig Briggs SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <svtrilogy53@...> wrote :

Hi Bill,

I'm also servicing my bow thruster for the first time. Wondering how yours went and whether you decided to use RTV everywhere?

I'm also trying to figure out what the proper size is for the o-rings. Parts lists I've seen show 78 x 3 mm and 40 x 2.5 mm. Are the 78 and 40 the inner or outer diameters?

Also, any advice on where to find the 10mm neoprene seals? We're currently in the Fort Lauderdale area. Was thinking of getting a 10mm sheet and cutting seals from that.

Thanks,
Mike
SV Trilogy SM#23