Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind with staysail

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul, watch for paralysis by analysis. Can be fatal.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 09 April 2018 at 02:34 "paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses.  My previous boat (a PSC) had a removable inner forestay which I rigged for offshore sailing only.   Used, and loved, it for heavy weather not upwind sailing.  With the single rig, a double-reefed main and staysail combo was perfectly balanced in heavy winds.  I suspect with the ketch rig the advantages would not be so great, which I actually experienced on our friend's SM2K in 40+ kt winds in the med.  No trinkette and no problem.

Bill, thank you for your advice on new ownership.  So much food for thought, I think my brain must be getting obese.

Paul C.