Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind with staysail

Bob Grey

Paul, I have a 55 that came with a staysail, it has been used very rarely and in fact never really been needed, it causes more problems being there than it would ever hope to be useful or effective. When I buy another Amel, it won’t have a staysail.

Bob Grey
Renaissance III

On Monday, April 9, 2018, 00:34, paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses.  My previous boat (a PSC) had a removable inner forestay which I rigged for offshore sailing only.   Used, and loved, it for heavy weather not upwind sailing.  With the single rig, a double-reefed main and staysail combo was perfectly balanced in heavy winds.  I suspect with the ketch rig the advantages would not be so great, which I actually experienced on our friend's SM2K in 40+ kt winds in the med.  No trinkette and no problem.

Bill, thank you for your advice on new ownership.  So much food for thought, I think my brain must be getting obese.

Paul C.