Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upwind with staysail

John Clark

Paul,
   I am at 18 months owning an SM.  Listen to the Bills and Alex.  In my opinion what is best is an unmolested Amel surveyed by an Amel savvy surveyor.   Unmolested means kept as origionally intended by Amel.  If Amel put it on then it is probably ok.

I was lucky and bought an unmolested older SM, she had some maintenance issues but nothing big ticket. I was more taken with the previous owners who owned her for 17 years.  They were consummate ocean sailors.  They were open and frank about what they did and didnt do. They took care of the parts that counted.  I feel better today having personally visited those "luxury" maintenance issues and knowing the status of the boat before sailing off.  A "perfect" boat is never really perfect...except Bebe...  ;)

I took care of post purchase maintenance and upfit as we sailed, just a little at a time.

John
SV Annie
SM 37
Georgetown Exuma....provisioning for St Thomas USVI.

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018, 10:36 AM paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses.  My previous boat (a PSC) had a removable inner forestay which I rigged for offshore sailing only.   Used, and loved, it for heavy weather not upwind sailing.  With the single rig, a double-reefed main and staysail combo was perfectly balanced in heavy winds.  I suspect with the ketch rig the advantages would not be so great, which I actually experienced on our friend's SM2K in 40+ kt winds in the med.  No trinkette and no problem.

Bill, thank you for your advice on new ownership.  So much food for thought, I think my brain must be getting obese.

Paul C.