Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] satellite service providers

Mark Erdos

Kent,

It looks like your place in GA has minute for a little bit less than mine in FL.

As an FYI – we connect our Iridium phone directly to the ships computer and use it as a modem (not recommended with Windows 10 because of the auto-updates). Without the GO it is one less thing we have to worry about staying charged. Here’s a link if anyone is interested: http://www.outfittersatellite.com/blog/iridium-satellite-phone/windows-7-with-iridium-9555.html

Prior to us leaving port we will set up a schedule to receive emails of compressed weather files each morning of the trip. A sea/wind five day forecast for an area about half of the size of the Caribbean Sea will take about 5 minutes to download. This info is over-layed onto our NobelTec Time Zero navigation software which will then use the latest weather to calculate the fastest route to our destination – not always a straight line. Cost is about $8 for receiving this data. Since we are not frequently doing long overnight passages, this is the most cost effective way for us to receive forecast when in route.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadeloupe

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:27 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] satellite service providers

Hanspeter, 

I'm not sure what the "units" are that your plan quotes.  The vendors who sell Iridium products are bound by their contracts to sell at very similar prices.  I got 500 minutes of airtime for about $750 US.  It's good for one year, and you can be extended for a significant price.  If you sign up for the same plan before yours expires, the minutes you have left roll over to the new plan.  You can always add more minutes if you run out.

With the Iridium Go you can't talk (maybe through your cell phone ?). I use a phone with an added Iridium wifi gadget called AxcessPoint.  It sets up a wifi hot spot.  The laptop connects via wifi for downloading email and weather.  It works like the GO, only charging minutes when data is actually downloading.

Doing it this way I can also do voice calls.

Kent

S/V Kristy

SM 243

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.