Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] satellite service providers

Mark Erdos

Kent,

It looks like your place in GA has minute for a little bit less than mine in FL.

As an FYI – we connect our Iridium phone directly to the ships computer and use it as a modem (not recommended with Windows 10 because of the auto-updates). Without the GO it is one less thing we have to worry about staying charged. Here’s a link if anyone is interested: http://www.outfittersatellite.com/blog/iridium-satellite-phone/windows-7-with-iridium-9555.html

Prior to us leaving port we will set up a schedule to receive emails of compressed weather files each morning of the trip. A sea/wind five day forecast for an area about half of the size of the Caribbean Sea will take about 5 minutes to download. This info is over-layed onto our NobelTec Time Zero navigation software which will then use the latest weather to calculate the fastest route to our destination – not always a straight line. Cost is about $8 for receiving this data. Since we are not frequently doing long overnight passages, this is the most cost effective way for us to receive forecast when in route.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Guadeloupe

www.creampuff.us