Re: Onan MDKD Starting Problems

greatketch@...

Woody,

I don't have the detailed part number for you, but I can give a clue about what's going on...

These are dual coil solenoids.  They have one large, powerful, high current coil that pulls the solenoid in to it's "activated" position, and a smaller, low power coil, that holds it there.  If the solenoid does not, or can not,  fully activate to its designed position when energized, the large coil stays powered up, trying to move the actuator.  It is not at all designed for continuous duty, and will quickly over heat--as you saw.

Before installing the new solenoid, you'll need to find out WHY the old one wasn't fully actuating.  It is possible that the problem is in the solenoid itself, and a new one will simply fix the problem.  But...if the movement restriction is in the parts the solenoid is trying to move, then the new one will likely burn up on first use...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Great Guana Cay, Abacos, Bahamas