Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good afternoon Eric,

The addition of a Staysail comes often on the forum.

My boat came with one and I wish it was removable.

Here are pictures of how mine was attached.
http://www.nikimat.com/staysail.html
It was “trough” the deck and attached “to” the hull (as opposed to attached “to” the deck which would cause stress then eventually damages).
So if you really want to add one, I would definitely suggest going through the deck and attach it to the hull.

Therefore, as I first mentioned, it should be removable as it is a pain to tack with the staysail on the way.
You have to furl in the Genoa i order to tack and you are going to use the Genoa a lot more than the stay sail.

I think Heinz on Quetzal (SM2K #292) has a brilliant solution, as his “inner forestay” was removable and store near the shroud out of the way.
Another thing I like on Heinz’s vessel is that the inner reaches almost the top (as opposed a the 2nd spreader on my boat), so this way he doesn’t have to use running back stay.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 12:37 PM

Hi Amel-Owners!
For our bluewater-trip we are planning
to install a 2nd forestay on our Super Maramu for strong
conditions.
We are looking for
recommendations and good solutions!? Where can we install
it? Any mount-points? How was this made on your
boat?Our ship is from 1989, Nr. 12