Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu

James Alton

Hi All,

   When first bought my Amel, I was thinking that I might add a staysail.  I liked the idea of having the smaller sail ready to use in higher winds as opposed to using a deeply reefed genoa.  Now that I have just two seasons on my boat, I have pretty much decided to keep the boat as designed.  While a staysail is a great addition to a sloop with respect to balance, the ketch rig really does not need the staysail for balance.  What I have done in place of a staysail is to have a working jib with a foam luff made for my boat which will set on the genoa furler.  This will be for the few  passages that would be to windward or strong winds were expected.  The boat is a joy to tack with the working jib.   For the rest  (most all of the time)  of the time, the original rig with the 150 Genoa seems like the best overall solution.   Those on the board that have advised newbies to sail their Amel as designed for at least a year are giving out some good advice IMO.  So far the only modifications that I have made to my boat are to undo the previous owners modifications.  (grin)

Best,

James

SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Apr 12, 2018, at 1:59 PM, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Eric ,

We have sailed nearly 60,000 miles in our SM , including two seasons in the Beagle channel and a rounding of Cape Horn .
 We have sailed in the south Atlantic in 60 knots .

We never felt the absence of a staysail .

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen , SM 302,
Preveza , Greece

On 12 Apr 2018, at 20:38, eric@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Amel-Owners!

For our bluewater-trip we are planning to install a 2nd forestay on our Super Maramu for strong conditions.

We are looking for recommendations and good solutions!? Where can we install it? Any mount-points? How was this made on your boat?

Our ship is from 1989, Nr. 12