Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water coming through below rudder quadrant

Eric Freedman

Hi Steve,

I am writing you back channel so I can send you the attached photo.

Sounds like you need to tighten up the packing nut.

Unfortunately you need a big wrench to do that thin with a short handle.

This is a wrench I cut out of a ¼ inch piece of aluminum stock.

Unfortunately I am not on the boat.

There is an L shaped bracket held in with 2 screws, Just remove the screws and tighten the nut.

It might take some force as the packing is tight. Be careful as the nut screws into fiberglass !!

If you can’t tighten it you might have to you can change the packing with the boat in the water. If your boat is sitting low in the stern you can remove the first 2 layers of packing and then you will need someone with a wet vac to remove the water as you install the packing. If your boat is not low it is easier. Make sure to grease the packing before installing. I use a piece of pvc pipe to drive down the packing. It is the same size that I use on the lip seals on the prop shaft.

If you cannot make a wrench, remove the rudder stock and use some other form of wrench.

If you mar the nut you can order another one from Maud. I keep a spare nut and packing Duct taped  near the quadrant.

If the quadrant has been leaking it is probably rusted.

It is best to clean it up and paint it with rust bullet. Unfortunately you cannot paint the inside of the quadrant as it makes an electrical contact for the bonding.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:49 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water coming through below rudder quadrant

Hello all. After avoiding the Berries all season because it just seemed too shallow with limited protection, I made a pass through it 2 days ago, and promptly found myself aground trying to turn around in a seeming dead end of a proclaimed “safe anchorage for one or two boats in an East wind.

Apart from being stuck for twenty minutes or so, I discovered later that evening that I had water under the aft bunk and pulled roughly a gallon out of the low space under the quadrant. This evening, after crossing Bimini to Ft Lauderdale, I pulled about the same out, to make it twice in the last two days.

I have never noticed water there before, though as I look now, I see a staining that has been there for quite some time, likely longer than the 18 months I’ve owned the boat, and so perhaps others have had issues with water getting through the packing and coming out the top of the fiberglass rudder sleeve.

With my phone I see what looks like a packing but below the quadrant. Have any of you dealt with an issue such as this?

All the best,
Steve Morrison
Sm 380, TouRai
Ft Lauderdale

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.