Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 2nd Forestay on Super Maramu

James Alton

Danny,
   Some great discussion!   I am curious about how deep you feelnthat you can reef a well made Genoa and still have good shape?    Also,  I was wondering your thoughts on how much using a well made Genoa reefed might be related to the loss of sail shape over time?

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Apr 16, 2018 3:05 PM, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

that's a bit new to throw away. Car position, halyard tension and leach cord are significant adjustments for performance as I am sure you know but if the sail is poorly shaped or of too light a cloth there is a limit as to what you can achieve.Do you have a foam luff. As I said in my previous it is quite possible to get satisfactory performance to windward in stronger winds with a partly furled 155%.but if its a slog of over 24 hours I change to my 90%

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 16 April 2018 at 20:17 "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny!

My "old" Genoa is less than 2 years so it still has a few miles left. but I agree with you that a poor 150% can give less performance than a good 100%, have experienced that a few times on previous boats . I will continue with my "old" Genoa cruising North towards Nova Scotia this summer, then decide upon action before heading down to the Caribbean this fall.
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259