Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Balooner usage advice

smiles bernard

Thanks Danny and Craig

Craig it is indeed a balooner. It’s labeled and has a luff tape so I suspect it’s a legacy thing as the profurl is only about 6 yrs old

Danny that sounds worth a try! The thing I love about the twin headsail rig when I’ve used it before is that reefing is so easy.
On my old boat the hanked on 80% sail was poled to windward and just stayed up all the time and the furling Genoa was like the accelerator. Squally? Reed the genny. Light winds? Let it all hang out.

Really good to hear other options for though android for though so thanks again

All the best
Miles

On 18 Apr 2018, at 20:21, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Miles

There will be much advice on this as to extra sails for downwind. I offer you a simple safe option. Obviously not as effective as adding a large extra.

I call it triple wing on wing. Mizzen to  (say) port and held there with the preventer. Main to starboard, and held with preventer, 155%  headsail to port. The wind hits the mizzen and accelerates across it and exhausts into the main, accelerates more  as it crosses the main and then into the largest sail twice accelerated. Because of the way the accelerated wind hits the headsail it stands up well  without being poled out. Don't have the mizzen and main out to near right angles to the boat, a bit of angle helps the wind flow/acceleration. If you want the effort, pole out the headsail

You will be surprised how effective this method is.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 18 April 2018 at 20:12 "smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello there

I’m new to the Amel way and have been learning lots from this fabulous forum as I get to know my older 1985 Maramu

I’m still unsure of a the best approach to my downwind rig and would benefit hugely from this groups thoughts and experience of getting the best from the balooner sail.

Thus far I have been moving toward the option of adding a 2nd removable forestay on my older Maramu. Positioned as close to the furling Genoa as possible and as high up the mast as possible to avoid running back stays.

I’d use his mainly for a twin headsail downwind set up with independence between the furler and a smaller 80-90% jib poled to windward.

I’ve used this setup before and like it lots I chose it over the option of hoisting two sails up the furler luff groove and loved its simplicity, independence of sails, provision of a spare forestay, ability to set a storm sail etc etc

But on the group lots of people advice is to not change anything on these well though out and well tested boats and I presume my old Maramu has sailed the World already without these changes 😊

So ..... considering other options ....apparently the large spinnaker looking sail lurking in my locker is a balooner.

How do people use these?

Just in combination with the Genoa as a double headsail rig or also on its own downwind wind (perhaps with the mizzen goose winged) ?

It’s worth pointing out that unfortunately I do not have the Amel furler but a profurl electric number with only 2 luff grooves. So I don’t have the wonderful 3 luff groove independent sail hoisting and lowering option available to most of you lucky chaps!

My concern with the balooner plus Genoa is that I will be short handed with kids aboard and given my profurl furler would have to hoist and lower the balooner and Genoa on the same halyard Ie unfurl a massive total sail area if I had problems and needed to get sails down.

Thoughts and hard won experience very much appreciated

Fair winds

Miles
Maramu #162