Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Balooner usage advice

smiles bernard

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and advice. Really helpful as always on this great forum 
I’m on the boat at the moment for the first time since Christmas and have a list of ‘to dos’ as long as my arm (at which point the ink ran out!) 
I’m here till tues am when I fly home again  then the family and I all head out hear again in July to start a cruise. 
I’ve taken my old main set of sails to a local sailmaker that a local friend recommended ( Luis in Tenerife -happy to share his number just shout)

and hoping to get some time tomorrow to get the other sails out work out a plan

Strangely on my Maramu a previous owner installed a removable staysail stay. Seems a bit weird to me as even though it’s only for a small storm sail I’m not that keen on the fact it has no equivalent backstay support.  
But it does have a deck fitting / attachment point fwd of the windlass. So if I did go for a removable forestay I would cannibalise the removable staysail bits.

I’ll look more closely at my set up and then weigh that in with lots of good advice from you guys to use what I’ve got rigging wise 😉

I’ll let you know what I opt for in the end and thanks again for help and advice 

All the best

Miles

On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:04, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

I have used the Ballooner on Sueño a few times now.  My boat also just has two grooves so once I hoist the ballooner up the second groove using my spare halyard, I am unable to furl either the ballooner or the genoa until the ballooner has been lowered. Perhaps this limitation is what Eric is referring to in his post.  Because of this limitation,  I have so far always taken the ballooner down before dark and only used it during stable conditions.  

Best,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:40 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

Without the triple groove plus thes pecial gadget at the top of the headstay you can’t use the ballooner.

I find  it much easier to fly a 1400-1500 sq foot gennaker in a sock, works like a charm’

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:13 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Balooner usage advice

Hello there

I’m new to the Amel way and have been learning lots from this fabulous forum as I get to know my older 1985 Maramu 

I’m still unsure of a the best approach to my downwind rig and would benefit hugely from this groups thoughts and experience of getting the best from the balooner sail. 

Thus far I have been moving toward the option of adding a 2nd removable forestay on my older Maramu. Positioned as close to the furling Genoa as possible and as high up the mast as possible to avoid running back stays. 

I’d use his mainly for a twin headsail downwind set up with independence between the furler and a smaller 80-90% jib poled to windward. 

I’ve used this setup before and like it lots I chose it over the option of hoisting two sails up the furler luff groove and loved its simplicity, independence of sails, provision of a spare forestay, ability to set a storm sail etc etc

But on the group lots of people advice is to not change anything on these well though out and well tested boats and I presume my old Maramu has sailed the World already without these changes 😊

So ..... considering other options ....apparently the large spinnaker looking sail lurking in my locker is a balooner. 

How do people use these?

Just in combination with the Genoa as a double headsail rig or also on its own downwind wind (perhaps with the mizzen goose winged) ?

It’s worth pointing out that unfortunately I do not have the Amel furler but a profurl electric number with only 2 luff grooves. So I don’t have the wonderful 3 luff groove independent sail hoisting and lowering option available to most of you lucky chaps! 

My concern with the balooner plus Genoa is that I will be short handed with kids aboard and given my profurl furler would have to hoist and lower the balooner and Genoa on the same halyard Ie unfurl a massive total sail area if I had problems and needed to get sails down. 

Thoughts and hard won experience very much appreciated

Fair winds 

Miles 
Maramu #162

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.