Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Balooner usage advice

smiles bernard

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and advice. Really helpful as always on this great forum
I’m on the boat at the moment for the first time since Christmas and have a list of ‘to dos’ as long as my arm (at which point the ink ran out!)
I’m here till tues am when I fly home again  then the family and I all head out hear again in July to start a cruise.
I’ve taken my old main set of sails to a local sailmaker that a local friend recommended ( Luis in Tenerife -happy to share his number just shout)

and hoping to get some time tomorrow to get the other sails out work out a plan

Strangely on my Maramu a previous owner installed a removable staysail stay. Seems a bit weird to me as even though it’s only for a small storm sail I’m not that keen on the fact it has no equivalent backstay support.
But it does have a deck fitting / attachment point fwd of the windlass. So if I did go for a removable forestay I would cannibalise the removable staysail bits.

I’ll look more closely at my set up and then weigh that in with lots of good advice from you guys to use what I’ve got rigging wise 😉

I’ll let you know what I opt for in the end and thanks again for help and advice

All the best

Miles

On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:04, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

   I have used the Ballooner on Sueño a few times now.  My boat also just has two grooves so once I hoist the ballooner up the second groove using my spare halyard, I am unable to furl either the ballooner or the genoa until the ballooner has been lowered. Perhaps this limitation is what Eric is referring to in his post.  Because of this limitation,  I have so far always taken the ballooner down before dark and only used it during stable conditions.

Best,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:40 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

Without the triple groove plus thes pecial gadget at the top of the headstay you can’t use the ballooner.

I find  it much easier to fly a 1400-1500 sq foot gennaker in a sock, works like a charm’

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376