Re: The mistery slick

Duane Siegfri

I'll second Jeffrey's suggestion.  It's an inexpensive check to remove the transmission oil cooler, take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and pressure tested.  It's a maintenance item that should be done occasionally anyway.

We had to replace a transmission for this very reason.  The boat was showing oil in the water via the engine exhaust, and we were told it was probably an injector, no rush to repair.  Once a small pinhole develops in a cooling tube inside the cooler, you will lose transmission oil, and seawater will mix with what is returned to the transmission.  Whether your transmission oil is cloudy or not, I would have the cooler tested to eliminate it from the list of possibles.  It's a pretty inexpensive test.  One thing to consider, once the pinhole develops so begins corrosion in the transmission with exposure to seawater.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477