Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Victron Auto Isolation Transformer

Porter McRoberts

Bill

This looks excellent.
Our 100amp Charger seems to be on the blink.
Could this be a reasonable replacement?
Seems so.

Did you end up getting one?

How was the install? I used victron for our solar and it is simply amazing. Cool with the Bluetooth dongle.

Many thanks
 Porter
S/V Ibis 54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Apr 11, 2018, at 3:16 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Has anybody evaluated (or installed) the Victron auto isolation transfomer?

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Isolation-Transformers-EN.pdf

I hadn't seriously looked at an isolation transformer for our Amel SM before, mostly because when I last looked at them the prices and complexity to allow multivoltage input put me off.  Since we don't spend much time plugged into marinas, I hadn't put it as a high priority.

The Victron looks like it was designed for an AMEL...  It can take EITHER 110V/32amp or 220V/16 amp input, selecting between them automatically, and produce 220V/16amp output (or 110V if you wanted..), and all for less than US$1000...  That, and the entire installation and operation manual is only 10 pages long.

Certainly the specs look great, and having a real isolation transformer is a plus over a galvanic isolator. And having wiring on the boat working exactly as designed even when plugged into 110V is a extra benefit.

It almost sounds like one of those "too good to be true" things, but Victron stuff has been top shelf in my experience so far...

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Great Guana Cay, Abacos, Bahamas