Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wind or Water generator

John Clark

Hi Ian,
   sorry I am a little late in responding.  We have been underway and with patchy internet.  We have the fixed prop(autoprop as a spare, set up preferred by previous owner which I have not felt compelled to change) and will generate useful power starting between 4-5kts.  At hull speed, say 7.5-9.0 kts the alternator produces more power than we can use.  The regulator is set to 27.5 volts and will float the batteries at that voltage.

I don't have an ammeter on the alternator output, but If the battery needs charge the highest I have seen gling in is 15 amps.  This of course would be in addition to running loads which vary.   We have one bench freezer, the galley frig and a portable 24V chest frig.  Underway we have a Raymarine Es78 chart plotter, Furuno 1623 radar, VHF and AIS running at all times.   Oh and the Igloo Ice Maker!

              Regards,  John
SV Annie SM 37
Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas  USVI