Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvos.......

James Alton

Ian and Judy,

I am really glad to hear that you feel you are making progress with solving your engine problem.  I think that we are certainly lucky to have knowledgeable and helpful people like Bill Kinney on this forum!  He has taught me a lot and I always enjoy reading his posts.  Do let me know when you cure the engine problem.

My wife and I should be headed up the Adriatic in about 3 months so who knows maybe we will cross paths.  It would certainly be interesting to hear more about your experiences in Brasil.

Best,

James 
SV Sueño
Maramu #220
Arbatax, Sardinia

On Apr 29, 2018, at 12:59 PM, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks, James,

You may have seen my exchange with Bill. I think I may be getting somewhere.

We've always had a great experience with our Autoprop  which is spinning freely.  I have been amazed that it was able to work at all on a couple of occasions when we have left the boat in foul waters, once in Brasil and once in Spain.  Both times you couldn't see any metal for mussels, but we still managed to limp along at 3-4 knots to a cleaning place. In Brasil, which has a lot of shark attacks that are kept out of the news, that meant spending too much time under the boat about 10 miles offshore. You would be amazed how quickly you can clean a prop.

I hope to post a happy ending to this story soon.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Athens

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 29 April 2018 16:09:35
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvos.......

Ian and Judy,

Sorry, I don’t have the same engine but hopefully someone else will answer that question for you.  

In general, if your engine is reaching your normal full throttle loaded rpm in neutral but you are 700 short under load of what is normal, either the load is higher than it used to be or the power output has dropped for some reason.  You indicate that the prop is perfectly clean but perhaps it is not auto pitching properly for some reason?  There has been a lot of discussion on the Auto-prop (which I do not have on my boat) on the forum that you could bring up by searching.  

Best of luck and I hope that you get more help with this problem,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Apr 29, 2018, at 9:52 AM, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi James, ( or anyone else )

If you are on board and have the same 75hp  Volvo as I have, can you put on full revs in neutral and let me know what revs you reach ? 

Thanks,

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Athens

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 28 April 2018 16:23:44
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvos.......

Ian,

The diesel engine governors that I am familiar with mechanically limit the engine RPM to a preset level by reducing the throttle setting.  If you are getting full revs. in neutral but not under load, I doubt that the governor is your problem.  I am sure that you will get more specific help here from others with the possible causes of your low revs.

Best of luck,

James

SV Sueño
Maramu #220 
On Apr 28, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

Do you have the 78hp Volvo with a governor ?  Can you tell me how the governor works--and what might upset it ?

Ian

Sent: 27 April 2018 09:23:23
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

Thanks, Bill,

Alas....in neutral the revs do what they oughta do.

I will have to risk  trying the local Volvo agent.

Incidentally, to anyone who has had Volvo work done near Athens, does Mantalas Kyriakos have a decent reputation ?      Anyone else ?

Ian

Pen Azen, SM 302, Athens, Greece

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: 26 April 2018 19:52:36
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos........

Ian,

Will the engine run at 2800 rpm unloaded (in netural)?

If NOT, the answer is not fuel starvation (because that would take very little fuel) but a possible problem with the injection pump or speed governor.

If YES, then...  I am not sure...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Somewhere around Eleuthera, Bahamas

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.