Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

greatketch@...

Ryan,

This Volvo engine is a bit of a strange beast...

Most diesels come with VERY specific instructions from the manufacturer to run them at a fairly narrow RPM range at full throttle.  Not so with Volvo and this engine.  The manual even suggests that selecting a prop that "limits" the top PRM might have advantages...

This is what Amel did.  They selected the props for these engines so they run lower at lower rotational speeds.  And get a lot of benefits from it. Longer life, quieter operation, more efficiency from the lower speed prop... And a few downsides (anybody want to come clean my sooty hull?)

The engine itself was made by Perkins.  They specify it to run at 4500 at full throttle/full load, which seems a pretty good match for the 5150 RPM "no-load" maximum set in the injection pump.

Unlike a non-fuel injected gasoline engine, a diesel won't normally "run away" at full throttle without a load since there is a governor as part of the injection pump.

I haven't come up with any reason I want to run this test, since the top speed is not an adjustment on the injection pump that should be fiddled with away from the test bed.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmetto Point, Eleuthera, Bahamas