Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Slowing down in increasing winds

Ian Park

David
An interesting question to which I can’t give answers. I’ve sailed our Santorin in f7 to f9, but never upwind. Even with the smaller Santorin she never gets moving properly until f5. My previous boat (Jeaneau 37 would have hade reefs in). In Caribbean inter island crossings this year we have had some very gusty winds. After being hit by a squall of 45 knots the boat (with all sails set!) lay over until the water was just over the side decks, and despite the efforts of the engaged autopilot turned nicely upwind and recovered herself.
I then took Linda’s “I warned you!” Advice and dumped the mainsail.

The point of all this ramble is we don’t have a production line boat. We also are blessed with a ketch. I would welcome others experience on this one. I do feel the lower overall sail height of the ketch, the ability to lose the main and stay in balance and then to start to reef the ‘jib and jigger’ added to the immensely strong Amel construction means our solutions won’t match the majority of cruising boats.

More comments please - we’re setting off back across the Atlantic to UK in a few weeks time so I’m watching this one closely,

Thanks David,

Ian  ’Ocean Hobo’ SN96

On 1 May 2018, at 16:50, David Vogel dbv_au@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,

The greatest winds we have experienced on PERIGEE have been 35 knots sustained, gusting 42, estimated 6 meter seas, all on the beam.  Even with fully reefed sails, it was a strong ride, but not uncomfortable.  It never got to the stage of thinking to go to bare poles.

But it did raise the question about how, and when, to slow down.

We carry some old 5/8ths hauling line with about 3 meters of chain, plus an old tyre, to add drag if needed.  And a Jordan Series Drogue for if things get really tough.

I have heard suggestions from other cruisers to run out line with fenders attached every 10 or so meters, with chain or an anchor at the end.  For example, at 35kts, drop the chain/anchor overboard and run out 10-15 meters of line, then attach a fender, and then run out  another 10-15 metes of line.  At 40knots, add another fender, and run out some more line.  At 45knots, heave-to.  I do not wish to be cavalier, but these wind-speeds seem a little low for a Super Maramu as, based on my experience, our boats can handle these conditions with relish.

What are your reefing points, heavy weather plans or storm tactics?  I'd be interested to hear from those with experience.  And also, at what wind-speed or sea-state would you call for the JSD, or other big-drag-device?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

David
Perigee, SM#396
SXM