Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Slowing down in increasing winds

karkauai

Interesting that you should post this now, David. I just came up from Wilmington North Carolina to Saint Michaels Maryland on the Chesapeake, and encountered unanticipated winds of 25 to 30 kts sustained and 35+ gusts on a regular basis. PredictWind had forecast 10-15 kts by three models, and 15-20 kts on the other model. The wind was right on the nose and forced us to fall off and tack. The waves were steep and short, but only 6 to 8 feet high. The wave period Was about half the length of the boat, so as we came down off of one wave we went directly into the face of another wave. In spite of falling off to nearly a beam reach, we banged quite a bit. The boat handled it fine, much better than my crew. Unfortunately the tiedown that I had on the anchor parted and the 40 kg ROCNA and 300 feet of 3/8 inch chain went over the bow. All were lost at night, without us even knowing it was gone. There was only minor superficial damage to the gelcoat on the bow, the windlass seems to be fine.

I have encountered 35 to 40 not winds in the past, but never short steep seas like this. It was a rough and uncomfortable ride. Next time I will heave to and wait it out. For long ocean passages, I will stow the anchor.

By contrast, I came up the Gulf of Mexico last Spring from Panama to Key West with 25-30 kt winds on the stern. With only a little sail out we averaged over 9 kts, not rarely hitting 12kts or higher. The ride was comfortable and exhilarating.'

In answer to your question, I think it depends on the sea state, state of the crew, and your own comfort level.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On May 1, 2018, at 4:50 PM, David Vogel dbv_au@yahoo.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote: