Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Deploying and retrieving an anchor with chain and rode

karkauai

Thanks, Bill.  I'll definitely tighten the clutch from now on.  I take it that you do not stow your anchor while underway.  In reading about anchoring, that is recommended by some.
I'm thinking of securing it with a cable that won't stretch instead of line that's more prone to stretching and chafe.  A pelican clip might be useful to snug it up tight.  Any reason not to use cable?

Kent
KRISTY
SM243

On May 3, 2018, at 10:29 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Duane,

On Harmonie we do likewise, except the anchor safety line is permanently attached to the center cleat on one end, and the other end ties to the cleat on top of the windlass.  That way you can easily see—from the helm—that the anchor is secure.  Learned that one here from Bill Rouse...

The safety line also goes through the shank of the anchor, bypassing shackles, and any other bits that might fail.

Last thing on this, when underway, we turn power off to the windlass motor, and tighten the clutch.

I never saw anyone lose a boat from losing an anchor, but I saw someone lose his job after an anchor came undone and his response was...suboptimal.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Eleuthera, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Kent,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  In answer to your question of stowing the main anchor, I always tie a line from the anchor to the large center cleat to hold the anchor in place while underway in lieu of dismounting and stowing the anchor.  That way you have the security of knowing it is held fast, yet it is available if needed.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477