Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Deploying and retrieving an anchor with chain and rode

karkauai

Hi Mark,
The bitter end was tied off in the chain locker with 3 ft of 3/4inch 3-strand nylon.  It was shredded. The u-bolt it was attached to feels intact, but I can't see it.  Will get a mirror and report what I find.

Kent
KRISTY
SM243

On May 3, 2018, at 11:29 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To all posting about an anchor losses,

I am wondering how it is possible to lose the anchor and chain since the bitter end of the chain is secured to the vessel with about 6 feet of rope in the chain locker? (rope should be used and not chain fastened to the boat in case of an instance where the anchor must be cut loose). Did the force of the anchor going down rip out the rope??? What happened?

We have always secured the anchor when underway with a rope to the towing cleat. I’m not sure I like Bill R’s idea of also tying to the windless since this would make it possible to trip over the line if on the foredeck.

We power off the windlass when underway and also while at anchor (once it is set with a snubber).

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Bonaire

www.creampuff.us