Re: Deploying and retrieving an anchor with chain and rode

Craig Briggs

Wow, Kent - must have been a boisterous sail, to say the least!

We had a laughable time when our anchor went over off Sardinia a few years back. I had lifted the chain off the windlass and layed it on deck the day before so I could use the rope gypsy to snug up a dock line at a marina. In the morning I just cast off the line and forgot to put the chain back in its gypsy. So, we took off across a shallow bay - about 15 feet deep - in a beautiful power reach, doing like 8 knots.

After only a few minutes a little chop bounced the unrestrained anchor over the bow, all 300 feet of chain spewed and screamed out the hawse pipe and then came up rock hard on the rope dead ended in the chain locker.  Talk about having a good set the first time!  We spun around in about one second flat to face the anchor and that sucker was buried to China. After we got over the shock and surprise and realized that nothing was damaged we had a good laugh at ourselves. Thank heavens we were far enough away from the marina so no one saw our antics! Took forever to get the damn thing out of the muck.

I've actually adopted a version of that (much calmer and controlled) occasionally and lower the anchor while driving forward and downwind over the spot where I want the anchor to end up. I then start a slow turn so the chain won't come up on the hull and continue slowly as the moving boat sets the anchor and swings around into the wind. Usually works great.

Cheers, Craig SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Hi Mark,
The bitter end was tied off in the chain locker with 3 ft of 3/4inch 3-strand nylon.  It was shredded. The u-bolt it was attached to feels intact, but I can't see it.  Will get a mirror and report what I find.

Kent
KRISTY
SM243