Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering cable part number

smiles bernard

Hello Dave

Many thanks for looking - very much appreciated and sorry if it was a wild goose chase
Ive done some trawling and found some details in the attached diagrams
My french is < schoolboy but i think that one says that the steering cable for is a MORSE Command 401
The other that the steering cables on the Santorin is the same as the SM

Looking at the pictures it seems identical to the steering system on SeaLove - an older Maramu

I don't have an actual part number but i'll make some enquiries today about replacements for the 401

Hopefully the info might be  help to other folk too at some point so i'll let this group know what i discover

All the best and thanks again for you help

Miles

Maramu 162

On Friday, May 4, 2018, 4:14:18 AM GMT+1, David Wallace svairops@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi Miles,

We're aboard Air Ops now so I took a look at the steering cables and could find no markings at all. At the quadrant, most of the cable is not visible, only the end fittings. Over the galley, there were also no visible markings. If someone else can give a precise location to look l'll try again. Wish I had an answer for you.

Best regards,
Dave and Merry
s/v Air Ops
Sea of Cortez, BCS, MX

On May 3, 2018, at 1:35 PM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello there

With help from James / Sueño and Graham /Zephyr of this parish I have pinpointed the source of stiffness in my older Maramu steering.

It’s one of the push pull control cables.

I am not near the boat currently (I’m in uk and she’s in the canaries) but am keen to see if I can source a replacement before our rapidly approaching family adventures begin.

Unfortunately I do not have a part number for the troublesome cable.

Maud at Amel has kindly looked to see if they have any information on the cable.
She has had no luck but believes they were Morse made. Mine are red as can be just about seen in the photo.

Apparently the morse cables are stamped with some form of part number near their end. Probably the end near the steering quadrant.

If any fellow older Maramu owners would be kind enough to have a look and see if they can find a part number I’d be very grateful.

I’m also going to try and drip a silicon based lubricant down the cable but if I can get a spare or a replica made up I would more comfortable.

FYI apparently these guys will make up replicas of discontinued cables so worst case is I fly back from the boat with the cable in a suitcase!

Many thanks

Miles