Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rivets for Head sail furling foil

James Alton

Vladimir,

   Thank you for the information.  The Mil-spec maximum hole size for a 1/4” rivet is 265 thousandths and 7mm is 275.5 thousandths.  I wonder if the hole size you are reporting has been increased by drilling out the rivet?  Or if this hole is being measured in the aluminum extrusion, perhaps the riveting process enlarged the hole some?  I am wondering if a 1/4” rivet could be preswelled the additional 10 thousandths to completely fill the hole?  I will run this one by an engineering friend to get his opinion.

   It would seem that a single pc. of aluminum could be machined to insert into the inside of the extrusion to provide something to tap into if needed.  The hole size to tap for an 8mm bolt is 269 thousandths so very close to the hole size that you have.  I am unclear if the Amel Owners that are replacing the original rivets with the 8mm bolts are simply tapping the existing holes in the two parts being joined or are inserting some sort of a backing?  Could someone enlighten me on whether a backing plate of some sort is needed to convert the original furler rivets to the 8mm bolts?  This change would be nice so that I would not have to drill out the rivets each time the furler needed to be removed.

Best of luck,

James

SV  Sueño
Maramu #220

On May 7, 2018, at 7:17 AM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,

The rivets were drilled out. The holes are 7 mm diameter. 1/4" diameter rivets are small for 7mm holls, but I can't  find rivets that are 7 mm in diameter.

Does anybody have a drawing of a threaded backing plate that can be inserted in the foil? Perhaps using screws and the backing plats are the best sollution. Does Amel sell the backing plats?

Vladimir
S/V "Life is Good"
SM 345

On Sun, May 6, 2018, 23:42 James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

   Can you tell me if the 1/4” rivets fit the original holes in your furler, or did you need to drill them out some?   I will be changing my headstay this year so need to drill out the rivets and would like to bring the correct size with me to the boat.

Thanks,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On May 6, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I used1/4 inch rivets.  No problems with installation or in the 3 years since

Kent
SM 243
KRISTY