Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rivets for Head sail furling foil

VLADIMIR SONSEV

James,

Do you know where can I buy  9/32" diameter rivets?

VLADIMIR
SM 345 "LIFE IS GOOD"

On Mon, May 7, 2018, 11:31 James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,
   Thanks for this information.  I hope that I can put things back together just as you did.   I would like to put back the aluminum rivets since they won't be a dissimilar metal and cannot unscrew with use.
   I am finding out by the way that oversized aluminum rivets of 17/64 and 9/32" are available for aircraft repairs where a rivet has been removed and the hole has been enlarged.  There are special rivet removal tools that center on the head of the rivet to insure that the drilled hole is centered that I am considering.  I have not used one.  Drilling just deep enough to remove the head and tapping out the rest of the rivet might be something I will try to do to prevent enlarging the hole as well.  I have not had time to fully research whether the oversized aircraft rivets would be suitable for the Marine application with regards to alloy etc. But wanted to mention this in case it is helpful to someone with oversized holes.

Best,
James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On May 7, 2018 9:59 AM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I drilled out the old rivets using a 1/4inch bit, James.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 6, 2018, at 11:42 PM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

   Can you tell me if the 1/4” rivets fit the original holes in your furler, or did you need to drill them out some?   I will be changing my headstay this year so need to drill out the rivets and would like to bring the correct size with me to the boat.

Thanks,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On May 6, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I used1/4 inch rivets.  No problems with installation or in the 3 years since

Kent
SM 243
KRISTY