Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rivets for Head sail furling foil

James Alton

Kent,

   I did not finish my research since it sounded like the 1/4” rivets might work for me so I did not source the oversized rivets.  I found some 1/4” (.255 OD) all Aluminum (alloy 5062 for the rivet body, the mandrel however is 7075) structural rivets at Fastenal with a higher shear strength (1300 lbs. min versus about 460) than the more common ones found at Marine stores and have those on order.  I will do some testing before using them on the boat.   I have some concerns about the 7075 mandrel. https://www.fastenal.com/content/product_specifications/RV.BH.STR.ALUM.ALUM.12.pdf

 here is what I found about the removal tool and the oversize rivets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNq7EEAvvlA  Video of using the Rivet removal tool

http://www.cherryaerospace.com/product/blindrivets Mention of 1/64” oversize rivets

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On May 7, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Interesting, thanks.  Where did you find the oversized rivers and removal tool?

Kent
SM 243
KRISTY