Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo TMD22A specs

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Pat,

The specs were for the 22 P which I had, not the 22 A which you have, but they should be pretty closed.

Personally I was motoring at 1600 to 1800 rpm which is way too low and I don’t recommend that as it will clog the turbo and exhaust elbow, etc, but that was enough to propulse the vessel at 5 kt at 1600 rpm and 6 kt at 1800 in calm sea.

It would only be speculation on my side… I heard: over prop, vessel too heavy, etc.
I think only Olivier can for sure tell us more in detail about that.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo TMD22A specs
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2018, 7:27 AM

Alexandre, It looks like at 3000 rpm I am only
getting to 67 hp. and they are correct that it is rated at
4500 rpms. If you don't get higher that 2200 rpm at full
throttle it seems there would be a problem  with the
pitch.
Thanks,

Pat SM#123

-----Original
Message-----

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>

Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2018, 7:01 AM

I have been given a quote from

Flexofold and they described the Volvo TMD22a as 78 hp.
at

4500 rpm. I can not find the specs anywhere on the
internet

. Can anyone tell me where I can find them. If it
correct

than I never get near 78hp. as I never get beyond 2900
rpm.

I presently have a fixed prop that came with the
boat,being

a1994 my keel was not modified to accept the Autoprop.
They

also stated my gear reduction ratio as 1:2,74 , does
that

sound right , I could not find it on the label on the

transmission ? My fixed prop is 21x16 -55 LH . and they
are

recommending a 20x12- 3R I don't know what the 55 or
3

stand for ? There recommendation seems like quite a

departure from my fixed prop in regards to size/pitch .

Maybe that is comparing apples and

oranges.Thanks,Pat

SM#123