Re: NMEA 0183 wire color?

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Duane,

We do the same: we took a couple of otherwise unused "out" wires from a B&G chartplotter and got them "in" to the Raymarine autopilot head.  This way, the Raytheon T-300 computer can sail to a wind angle, and the Raymarine autopilot head can then display water temperature, get the name of the waypoint to which we are navigating, calculate distance and time to waypoint, etc.

You will need to enable the B&G plotter to output NMEA, and enable only the NMEA sentences which the Raymarine can understand.  The more sentences you enable, the slower the NMEA bits, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

Peregrinus
SM2K N. 350 (2002)
underway, Sardinia to Sicily