Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Main sheet boom slider broken

John Clark

I guess we are "lucky" to have an older SM which came with a manual mainsheet winch, so we have not had the issue of the mainsheet attachment blocks cracking.  That said even with the manual winch I have had to stop crew members from over tightening the mainsheet.  What alerts me is the sound of the winch sheet and blocks when the sheet is too tight.  If we had the electric winch things would be happening much faster and probably we would have broken the blocks too.

We do have the electric genoa winches and they make me nervous.  One caviler crewmen holding the button and not seeing a fouled line could cause a lot of damage quickly.  In the 16 months I have had Annie I have adapted  to almost never use the electric power feature on those winches.  I instruct crew to only use the button if they really need to, maybe when doing a single handed tack, or some such maneuver.  Manually adjusting sails also teaches them to watch the sails more closely and get a better feel for the sail tuning.

                            Regards,  John

SV Annie SM 37
Druif Bay USVI

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

That would do it, Alan ;-)>

I like Steve’s solution with strict instructions to crew.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 10, 2018, at 2:12 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

The biggest problem is the main sheet attachment. We've broken two of them becsause of over enthusiatic crew on the mainsheet button

My solution :
1. make an aluminium piece of the same thickness but a bit longer and WELD it to the boom.
2. trip the cct breaker for the main sheet winch so it MUST be wound in manually.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437....just arrived Savusavu, Fiji.....