Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Facing in or out--- SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush

eric freedman

Craig,

Please reread what I wrote, I believe you misread what I wrote.

What you wrote is what I said . I call one side the rubber side and the other the spring side.

I was not questioning how many seals went which way.

I have changed my WOB and lip seals about 10 times over the last 16 years and with attention to detail and a lot of silicone grease there will not be a leak. I install them the way Amel originally installed them with the 2 seals nearest the C drive having the spring side facing the oil  and the last seal with the spring side facing the prop. Look at drawing 13 of the appendix in the owner’s manual.

The first time I changed the seals I used the prop grease and it leaked.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:46 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Facing in or out--- SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush

Hi Eric,

Just the opposite, I think, but I'm sure Jose will clarify.  He's got the first two seals with the lip (or spring) side facing aft, or "out" and the last (outer) seal facing "in", that is, with its lip side facing forward toward the oil. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

Jose,

Just to clarify things about this discussion.

I assume that when you say the lip seal is facing in you mean that the rubber side is facing towards the C drive  and when you say out you mean the spring side is facing the C drive.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:36 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush*** IMPORTANT RESPONSE***

Danny and Bill,

First, I don't take it personally.... (text clipped)

In my experiment I had both the inner and central seals with the lips facing the propeller (preventing water from coming in but allowing oil to move out)  The outer seal was facing the C-drive, thus acting to prevent the oil from leaking out but allowing some lubrication by the water.  

.....(text clipped)

Fair winds

Jose

Ipanema SM2K 278

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.