Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Facing in or out--- SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush

Craig Briggs

Wow, all this "facing in and out" is confusing, and I may have misread your post, if, perhaps, you were trying to see if Jose's nomenclature actually matched the Amel way.

However,  "Facing in" in Jose's method is the same as Amel's, that is, with the spring (or lip) side facing the "C" drive and preventing oil from escaping. "Facing out" is with what you call the "rubber side" being toward the "C" drive, and the lip or spring side facing the sea, thus preventing water from entering from the sea. Your post assumed that Jose meant just the opposite - he didn't (unless I'm reading everything wrong :-).

Now, as you note, Amel says (or used to say) the first two should be facing in, meaning spring side toward "C" drive oil. The last, or outer one, they say, should be facing out (spring side to the sea).  They seem to have changed that in their Caribbean installations with the first one facing in, ie., spring side toward the oil, and the outer two facing out, spring sides facing the sea, supposedly trying to solve the water-in-oil problem.

Jose suggests the first two should actually face out, ie., spring sides facing the sea, and the outer one should face in, ie., lip side facing the oil of the "C" drive. He posits that will keep all lips lubricated and lessen wear on the bearing. The inner lips, by facing out will let oil seep out of the "C" drive to lubricate the lips and the outer lip will let water come in, also to lubricate the seals, while the inner two keep that water from making its way to the oil in the gear case.  Thus all seals will get lubricated by oil and/or a water and oil slurry.  Doesn't sound unreasonable.

Super that you're one of the few who never has water in their oil. More power to you, and this discussion must seem trivial, but I'd assert most of us do get water in the oil and it's not from a lack of attention to detail, nor failure to follow the Amel way.

Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

Craig,

Please reread what I wrote, I believe you misread what I wrote.

What you wrote is what I said . I call one side the rubber side and the other the spring side.

I was not questioning how many seals went which way.

I have changed my WOB and lip seals about 10 times over the last 16 years and with attention to detail and a lot of silicone grease there will not be a leak. I install them the way Amel originally installed them with the 2 seals nearest the C drive having the spring side facing the oil  and the last seal with the spring side facing the prop. Look at drawing 13 of the appendix in the owner’s manual.

The first time I changed the seals I used the prop grease and it leaked.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376