Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering hydraulic line

eric freedman

Bill,

When the packing is initially installed, I drive it down with a piece of PVC pipe and a small sledge hammer.

It is in very tight. As it swells with water it does leak and needs tightening. Over the last 16  years it has always been tight.

I was not commenting on scoring the nut but rounding the edges of the nut.

The correct wrench really comes in handy. One time we were hit by two big waves, the first one laid us over the second put the sails in the water. The water entered in the fresh air duct and came out of the vent under the stairs like a fire hydrant until we leveled off.  This put a lot of water down below. When we got the mess cleaned up, I went back to my cabin.

I saw the carpet was very wet. Initially I was puzzled. I then looked at the rudder post and it was really leaking badly.

It seems that the waves moved the packing on the rudder stock. I had a plumbers wrench and it was very difficult to even turn the nut. When I was done the nut was toast. I now have the proper wrench, spare packing from Amel, and a spare nut duct taped next to the rudder.

That’s my story of the plumbers wrench.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376