Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Propshaft WOB & Speedi-Sleeves

karkauai

Thanks again Craig, much easier than I envisioned.  To quote my hero and an Amel owner and engineer “Easy Peasy”. Looking forward to seeing you this fall.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 17, 2018, at 1:41 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent - Leave the flange on the first sleeve and install it. Now clip the flange of the second sleeve down to the break-off groove that's machined into each sleeve. Your basic diagonal cutting pliers work nicely.  Now install the second sleeve, pushing it up close to the first one. Finally, just use a needle-nose pliers to peel off the flange. The SKF directions and web-site cover all. No grinding or cutting needed, although I suppose you could smooth the flange edge a bit with a Dremel if it's rough, but it probably won't hurt anything.

On my last haul out a month ago I used a new WOB I had from Amel and did it the "Amel way" with first two seals facing in and third seal facing water. Will check in with Jose in two or three years and see how his experiment works with first two out and last one in. Then may get a 17-4 stainless WOB made, or Amel may get around to supplying the "experimental" model as standard or Jose's way may carry the day!

Cheers, Craig SN68 Sangaris, Ft Pierce, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Thank you, Craig.  Are you still using SpeediSleeves?
How did you remove the lip/flange?  I’m envisioning either grinding it off or cutting it off with a Dremel tool.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 16, 2018, at 9:12 AM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Yep, as I said in my post I did try the Speedi Sleeves. Wasn't happy that you have to use two to get the width you need, so you're left with bit of a burr when you remove the lip of the 2nd sleeve that seemed it could snag the lip seals as you slide them in. They did not wear out, though, like the WOB, just faint surface lines that passed the "fingernail test".
No problem with the 17-4 recommended by the SKF engineer. It's corrosion resistant and can he hardened up to Rc 40. 316 is only about 20 Rc.
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

The Speedi-Sleeves, Craig.
I also wonder if the 17-4 SS would corrode over a 2-3 year time period.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

Tried which, Kent? The SpeediSleeves or the 17-4 stainless WOB?
Craig