Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM Batteries

Hi Kent,

My old girl is hull 007… yet I managed to change the layout to 8 batteries below the passage berth.  I need new batteries soon and will buy GET Mastervolt 185 AH X6.  Will fit my battery box and give me 25% more amperage while reducing the wiring mess in the box.

Just for your thoughts.

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007 Fakarava Atoll French Polynesia.

On 19 May 2018, at 13:44, karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Amel Cousins,
I know this has been discussed before, but I’m not having any luck searching the site.

I want to replace my current 8 group 27 hybrid batteries (between cranking and deep cycle characteristics) with deep cycle higher AHr batteries. They are only 90 AHr for a total of 360AHr at 24v.I’ve found Crown 130A hrs group 31’s. My battery compartment (very early SM2K) will only hold 8 group 31’s + 1 cranking battery. That would give me a total of 520 A hrs. Does anyone have experience with these?

I know others have used 6v deep cycle batteries. How many can you fit in your battery compartment? Total A-Hrs? Do you have pics of the installation?

I want to stay with lead acid wet cells on the advice of others who say finding AGMs or GelCells may be difficult in remote places (heading for the S Pacific next Spring).

Any/all advice or experience greatly appreciated.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy
St Michaels, MD