Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Batteries

greatketch@...

Eric,

Yes, that is the cost. Expensive.

They are very expensive, and as I wrote, NOT for everybody.  They only make sense if:
  • you can reduce the number of batteries you need based on the tolerance for a much deeper routine discharge without damage, or if;
  • the higher charge rate is important, or if;
  • tolerance for consistent operation at partial state of charge is economically important to your application.
If you look at battery technology, the cost per kilowatt-hour stored over the life span of the battery is pretty much a constant. That is not an accident, but I am sure the way the bean-counters price things. The very long forecast life of these batteries makes them very expensive in upfront cost. That the factory is running at capacity, and can barely keep up with demand, puts constant upward pressure on the price.

If your objective function is simply the time weighted cost of batteries, I doubt you can do better than the simplest flooded lead acid batteries.

In my specific case, a potentially postponed genset replacement justified the higher battery cost. Even if the overall lifespan does not ultimately live up to the manufacturer's expectations, I expect to come out ahead.  That cost/benefit analysis is likely to be different for everyone.

So far, the reduced charging time has not only met, but well exceeded my expectations.  The lifespan of the batteries without regular recharging to "full" is something that can only wait for the passage of years to know if it will be what was promised.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Cape Eleuthera, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <kimberlite@...> wrote :

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your long life aboard an Amel. !!

May I ask what you paid for the batteries. I went to the link you posted and it seems that they are over $400- US each.

Is that correct?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376