From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 11:48 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main sail furling gear box

Eric: The link that I posted shows the puller with the jaws and puller bolt
pointed downward.
In the case of the shaft on the outhaul this was inverted so that the puller
bolt (in the center
of the puller) was impacting on the shaft from the bottom. He place a short
bolt in the
threaded hole in the bottom of the shaft (where the seal cover cup and bolt
was) to protect
the shaft and threads. The jaws of the puller were placed on a piece of
metal that passed
across the top of the gearbox in the window that is formed between the
bottom of the boom
and the top of the mounting bracket. Thus the pressure was on the shaft from
below and
the jaws were gripping on the top of the gearbox. I hope that makes sense.
In this case it
wasn't really a puller but rather a pusher or on the other hand you are
pulling the gearbox off
the shaft of the winch. I hope that helps.

Gary

Eric Asked:

" to what did the machinist attach the straight jaw puller ?"