Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Batteries

James Alton

Bill,

   I am glad to hear that the Firefly batteries are exceeding your expectations.  Perhaps in the future the cost differential for the Fireflies versus conventional batteries will decrease.  Fingers crossed that you get a long life out of your batteries.

   One thing that I tend to consider when comparing the total cost of batteries is the value of having more reliable batteries.  I find it disruptive to have to change batteries in the middle of a trip so if paying more for a battery can extend the time between these disruptions, to me there is some payback though I don’t know how one could put an exact monetary value on that aspect.   Also, batteries are heavy things and even though I tend to do the work myself to change them so I am not paying someone directly, it can feel a bit like work to me to locate replacements (which it seems you can seldom find the exact same battery so sometimes wiring modifications are required) , remove and replace batteries.  Finally I feel that when I consider the cost of the boat and all of the other expenses that go into being able to cruise my boat, there is a pretty significant cost per day that needs to be factored into the downtime that the boat is not available for use.   Sometimes paying more upfront  can actually cost less in the long run.

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On May 21, 2018, at 1:41 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

Batteries are less expensive than a genset.

Thank You for the explanation.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376